Our farm cottages are perfect if you’re looking for group accommodation in Scotland. We host family holidays, reunions, shooting parties, hen parties, birthday party and anniversary celebrations. If you are an event organiser, we are also happy to discuss using Hillhouse Farm Escapes for retreats – meditation, writing, art – as well as teambuilding weekends. Our rural location is an easy drive to/from Edinburgh (30 minutes) and the best of the Scottish Borders, East Lothian and Midlothian are all nearby.
Highfield, Hernie Cleugh, Fairnielees and Berry Hill can fit 20 guests comfortably, with extra children on camp beds or travel cots as needed. The kitchen in the Highfield has a large extendable oak table so you can eat together (10/12 guests). Some guests like to extend the space further with a dining tent or small marquee and tables for some alfresco options, with local caterers available if needed. For groups requiring more space for collective dining, we have a barn space which is great for informal dining, and outside catering.
We have a range of “extras” which you can add to your group accommodation experience. How about some brilliant farm activities, a game or two on the tennis court and a hot tub? Your time together will be extra special at Hillhouse.
Highfield is often used by groups as the main base when staying as a group. Large dining-kitchen with an extendable table seating 10/12. Two bedrooms (one king, one twin) and two bathrooms. Can be interconnected with Hernie Cleugh next door if required.
Hernie Cleugh is very comfortable with its own garden area and separate entrance. The cottage is semi-detached with its bigger neighbour Highfield. Two bedrooms (also one king and one twin) as well as a shower-room. Open-plan living and eating space downstairs.
Berry Hill, close to Hernie Cleugh and Highfield, has a very generous living space with an open-plan living-kitchen-dining room as well as a separate lounge. Two bedrooms upstairs (both can be set as either king or twin rooms), a bathroom and a separate shower room.
Fairnielees is the largest of our cottages, and it’s a short farm-track drive from the other 3 cottages (or a 15 minute walk). Dining-kitchen, three bedrooms (two kings, one twin), an office room (with sofa bed), one bathroom, sitting room and sun room.
catering & small marquee
- Alfresco dining & marquee: we are happy to add on a small marquee next to Highfield which acts as a dining and activities tent. We can easily set this up for up to 24 guests, so a great option if you’d like to invite additional guests for certain parts of your stay.
- Barn space: we have a barn space which can be used for informal dining, BBQs and outside catering.
- Catering: for special occasions, you may like to hire in a brilliant local caterer. We have a list which we use and we are very happy to advise on what might work best for your group.
- Farm activities: as well as walking and cycling on our farm tracks, we can organise sheep dog demonstrations and country sports. How about clay pigeon shooting, tomahawk throwing and archery?
- Tennis: hold your own tennis tournament, or just head down to the court for a knock-about when it takes your fancy.
- Indoor activities: we are happy to set up a range of quieter things to do as a group including cupcake decorating and flower arranging. Or perhaps you’d like a gin tasting, wine tasting or whisky tasting one evening?
- Hot tub: you can hire a hot tub from Hillhouse Farm Escapes for the duration of your stay, or for just a day. It’s a great little luxury to add on.
- Firepit or BBQ: make use of our Indian street food cooking “kadai” as a firepit or BBQ. Please ask us about hire and logs (all farm-sourced wood).
- Other extras: previous guests have hired a bouncy castle for the children and we can also arrange for a mobile bar (e.g. in a horsebox trailer!) if you fancy a cocktails night. If you’re opting to add the small marquee, we can also arrange for it to be beautifully decorated.